Monday, October 3, 2011

Five Guys Named Moe

Today we have another musical I've never listened to before. My younger brother has seen this one before and told me he liked it as a kid, but doesn't remember much about it. Let's dig in.

Five Guys Named Moe debuted on the West End in 1990 and at Broadway in 1992. The music and lyrics are by Louis Jordan, who the show is a tribute to. I can't seem to find a plot synopsis of this one, so I'll interpret what I can from the songs. From what I've found, this is a very high energy show that involves a lot of audience participation. When listening to this one, get ready for some jazz.

We start with a very jazzy overture where the narrator introduces us to the five Moes, Big Moe, Four-Eyed Moe, Eat Moe, No Moe, and Little Moe. You have to love the puns. They all seem rather arrogant.

Our next song, "Early in the Morning" is fairly quiet and mellow. If we weren't already in the mood for jazz or the blues, we should be by now. The lyrics indicate the narrator is going through all of the normal things that cause the blues, but it's early in the morning. Geeze, I know how that feels.

Our next song is "Brother Beware". Has a narrator telling us about the kind of women to be afraid of - the ones who fall in love with you! He explains why we shouldn't bother with these girls. This is a pretty funny song.

"I Like 'Em Fat Like That" is exactly what it says on the tin. It's yet another comedic song. I'd be surprised if you don't crack a smile during this song, at least.

"Messy Bessy" is about a raucous woman who one of the Moes seems to be dating and his troubles trying to keep her presentable in public. We get an awesome saxophone solo in this song. This is a song that seems to be very danceable.

"Pettin' and Pokin'" gives a story about Jack and Jill...not the hill walkers, but a couple of lovers who live next door who never can seem to keep "quiet". At one point a lion visits the pair and runs back into its cage! Oh married life.

"Life is So Peculiar" is about peculiar things that make complete sense. I don't quite get the point of this song, but it's lively.

"I Know What I've Got" is about seeing that his girl isn't the best, but she's far from the worst. Have I mentioned how short these songs are? Because they're very short.

"Azure Te" is a slow and quiet song about longing for someone far away. This is one of those songs that it seems easy to drink to in a dimly lit bar.

"Safe, Sane, and Single" starts off with some slow humming and quickly picks up energy. It's basically a hoedown song about staying single. One of the verses is pretty damn funny. This is probably one of my favorites.

"Push Ka Pi Shi Pie" has a Calypso flavor to it. It's very upbeat with a rhythm like what you'd typically find in most Calypso dance music. From what I gather, the song itself is about a female con-artist.

"Saturday Night Fish Fry" has a big band sound. I definitely like this one.

"What's the Use of Getting Sober?" is pretty depressing. Alcoholism tends to be. :(

"If I Had Any Sense" is very short and it's very upbeat. The lyrics are not nearly as upbeat as the music. Ouch, lyrical dissonance.

"Dad Gum Your Hide, Boy" is great. It's about repaying what is owed...sort of. You just have to listen to it. :)

"Let the Good Times Roll" contains parts of the title song and is a very exciting song. I can only assume there is some great dancing while this song is being performed because of the sound effects in the song.

"Cal'donia" sounds quite a bit like other songs in the show, but this one has a lot more audience participation. These kinds of shows are always a lot of fun.

"There Ain't Nobody Here But Us" is about someone hiding in a hen house. Um, you'll have to listen to it. This is my favorite in the show.

"Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" is another slow, sad song. Geeze, I feel like I need a drink now.

"Look Out Sister" is a continuation on "Brother Beware", except it's a warning for the ladies. I find this one funnier.

"Choo Choo Boogie" is one I've heard before. It's really catchy and I'll probably be humming it the rest of the night.

The next song is a medley of three songs. The one I recognize right off the bat is "Is You is or is You Ain't my Baby?" I blame Tom & Jerry.

Now we get another track named "Five Guys Named Moe". It's very short and it plays the group out.

The final song is "Band Play Out", which is exactly what it sounds like. It's a jazz number that plays the Moes out while they sing a bit. It's a great ending to the show and sounds a lot like a good time to give applause and standing ovations and whatnot.

Overall, I'd say I liked this musical, even if it was a bit short on substance. I'm hoping for something with more content tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment